The United States government lists anabolic steroids as a Schedule III controlled substance. According to claims, they pose a significant risk for abuse and dependency. Because of this, there is a social stigma surrounding steroids and people believe them to be dangerous. Like anything else, though, moderation and responsible use is the key to safe anabolic steroids use.
Understand Your Limitations
First of all, some people will never be able to use steroids due to inherent medical conditions or an inability to tolerate them. If you have any of the following conditions, you should not use steroids unless prescribed to you by your doctor:
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- High blood pressure
- Coronary artery disease
What’s more, if you are dependent on alcohol, you should avoid anabolic steroids due to the potential for severe and sometimes fatal liver disease.
Use the Right Doses and Cycle Lengths
One of the biggest mistakes people make with otherwise safe steroids is taking more than they should or for a longer cycle than they should.
Before you get started, you first need to understand that bulking up requires hard work and steroids will not work miracles. You need to take the time to discover the right doses for performance enhancement, including the maximums.
You also need to make sure that you time your cycles appropriately to prevent the worst of the side effects. Doses and cycles vary from product to product, so do your research beforehand.
As a general rule of thumb, the higher your dose, the shorter your cycle should be. Conversely, the lower your dose, the longer you can extend your safe steroids cycles without worrying about serious side effects. As an example, if you take 80mg of Dianabol each day for bulking, you should keep your cycle down to a four-week maximum. On the other hand, if you use 25mg a day, you can easily double that cycle length.
Gather the Necessary Supplements and PCT Compounds
Safe steroids are only safe when you use them with the right supplements and follow your cycles with PCT, or post-cycle therapy. These prevent side effects in a number of different ways. The supplements you may need during your cycle include:
- Testosterone – Anabolic steroids inhibit the natural production of testosterone. As such, you must replace it with an exogenous form. You can find several different types, and any of them will do as long as you use the right dose.
- Aromatase inhibitors – These inhibit your body’s production of aromatase, an enzyme that converts excess testosterone (and anabolic steroids) into estrogen.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Studies have shown that steroids may cause increases in bad cholesterol and drops in good cholesterol. Omega-3 fatty acids can counteract this to a degree.
- Milk thistle – This all-natural, plant-derived substance offers protection for your liver during steroid cycles.
Post-cycle therapy depends on the steroid you used and the length of time you used it. Some of the supplements you might need include:
- Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs) – These are essentially estrogen blockers, but they also help stimulate the production of LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) that will bring testosterone production back to normal.
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH) – If you want to incorporate HGH into your PCT, you should start using it about four weeks before your cycle ends and continue for about 10 to 12 weeks afterward.
- hCG – This is another hormone that can help you maintain your gains and ward off side effects like testicular atrophy, but you only really need it after a long cycle (12 or more weeks) with a potent steroid.
Using Testosterone Supplements
When you go to buy testosterone supplements so you can use safe steroids, you will likely find that there are several forms of testosterone available to you. The one you choose doesn’t make much difference as long as you use it at the right weekly dose, which is roughly 500mg.
Some forms have shorter half-lives than others, which means you will need to use them more frequently to maintain a stable blood level. The chart below shows the half-lives and dosage schedules of five different forms of testosterone based on 500mg per week doses.
When learning how to use steroids safely, getting enough testosterone at the right times is crucial.
|Form of Testosterone||Half Life (Days)||Dose Amounts|
*Though Sustanon’s half-life is up to 18 days, this testosterone blend contains several types of testosterone, and some of these are very short-estered, like testosterone propionate. The best way to dose Sustanon is every other day since this maintains a stable amount of all testosterone esters in your body around the clock.
Things to Avoid During Cycles with Safe Steroids
When learning how to take steroids safely, it’s vital that you learn what to avoid during your cycles to stay safe. The following tips and tricks will help you make the most of your cycles with safe steroids.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, especially when using an oral steroid. Oral steroids are hepatotoxic, and the consumption of alcohol can exacerbate the risk. It’s best to simply avoid it for a week before, during, and a few weeks after your cycle.
- Limit your use of acetaminophen or other OTC drugs that can cause liver damage. These can also exacerbate the risk of liver problems. Research every medicine you take and do your best to avoid anything that may make liver damage worse.
- Pay attention to your body. Everyone – men and women alike – will react differently to anabolic steroids, even at the exact same dose. For this reason, you are the best judge of your health, and it is up to you to keep yourself healthy. Are steroids safe? They are for most people, but others simply don’t tolerate them well.
- Get medical attention when you need to do so. All too often, people will use the wrong steroids, take higher-than-recommended doses, or even carry on a cycle for far longer than they should. These things counteract safe steroids and can cause serious issues. Some people are afraid to seek medical attention after doing damage to their bodies, but the truth is that a doctor would rather treat you than see you ill. Don’t be afraid to see a doctor if you’ve overdone your cycle or if you are concerned about side effects.
- Don’t mix oral steroids. Part of using safe steroids involves knowing which ones work together and which ones can cause exacerbated sides. Mixing two orals at the same time, such as Dianabol and Winstrol or Anavar and Anadrol can cause serious liver damage that cannot be reversed. Do your research beforehand, and if you want to incorporate two orals into a cycle. Make sure you don’t stack them. Stop the first oral before starting the second, and you should be fine.
Despite the social stigma and the many warnings from medical professionals, safe steroids do exist. In fact, most of the popular anabolic steroids are safe when you use them responsibly, with the right supplements, and alongside a beneficial diet and exercise plan.