Deca Durabolin is by far one of the most versatile and well-tolerated anabolic steroids on the market today when used according to recommendations and guidelines. However, it should be considered that because this steroid has such a long half-life, any Deca Durabolin side effects that you experience will not immediately subside when you discontinue it. By understanding the various side effects of Deca Durabolin, you can make better decisions when it comes to reaching your goals.
Typical Deca Dosage and Usage
One of the best ways to mitigate the risk of Deca Durabolin side effects is to use it according to recommended doses and cycle lengths.
Failing to follow these guidelines will increase the risks tremendously, but will provide no further benefit.
Keep in mind that doses will vary based on goals and tolerance, and the information provided here is meant to serve only as a guideline.
|Goal||Men's Max Weekly Dose|
Not everyone will tolerate Deca in these doses, so first-time users should slowly titrate their doses over a period of at least two weeks to determine their unique reactions.
Important Deca Durabolin Side Effects – Hepatotoxicity
Although Deca is not as hepatotoxic as many of its anabolic counterparts – especially in their oral forms – that risk does exist. Deca does filter through your liver, which influences liver enzymes and can cause significant damage, especially in high doses or when used for extended periods of time. To mitigate these risks, consider the following:
- Do not drink alcohol or take other hepatotoxic drugs while using Deca. Drinking alcohol even moderately or taking certain medications like acetaminophen can exacerbate the risk of liver damage.
- Take a supplement for extra protection. Milk thistle is a great choice that is widely available; some companies make specialty blends of liver-protective ingredients that will usually include milk thistle, as well.
- Stay hydrated. The more dehydrated you are, the harder your liver must work to filter toxins from your system. Aim to drink at least 64oz of water every day, and more to compensate for Sweating during your workouts.
- Do not use Deca Durabolin if you have (or have had) liver disease. Deca can exacerbate these medical conditions and accelerate them. You should not use it if you have ever had any kind of liver problem.
Estrogenic Side Effects of Deca Durabolin
Though Deca does not convert to Estrogen in the bloodstream as readily as some of its counterparts, it is still important to consider this possibility. Excess hormone that your body cannot use will interact with the aromatase enzyme, which will convert that hormone to estrogen. For men, the effects of excess estrogen range from mild to severe, and when left unchecked, they can become permanent. They include:
- Bloating – Many men experience bloating when using anabolic steroids, and it can range from mild swelling noticeable only in the extremities to significant bloat that results in “moon face”.
- Mood changes – Estrogen and testosterone compete for some of the same receptors, and when estrogen wins out, men often experience Mood changes. While some experience Anxiety, others may become depressed.
- Gynecomastia – This is a condition in which men develop breast tissue. Though it can be reversed in its early stages, it can become permanent over time. Some men are more prone to it than others, as well.
The best way to avoid these Deca Durabolin side effects is to use an aromatase inhibitor such as Arimidex during your cycle. As the name suggests, it binds to the aromatase enzyme, preventing estrogen conversion from occurring.
Side Effects for Women – Virilization
Virilization is always the primary concern when women use this product. This term is used to describe the development of a variety of features typically classified as masculine because they are the direct result of abundant testosterone in the body. Due to these Deca Durabolin side effects, women are usually advised to use a different product, such as Anavar, Primobolan, or Winstrol. For women, the side effects of Deca Durabolin may include:
- A deeper voice caused by hormonal changes to the larynx, or voice box.
- Growth of body hair due to increased levels of testosterone in the bloodstream.
- Diminishing breast tissue as the direct result of less estrogenic action in the body.
- Mood changes caused by fluctuating hormones.
- Menstrual changes including amenorrhea, which is the absence of menstrual periods. This is also a direct result of too much testosterone and too little estrogen.
- Clitoral enlargement from too much testosterone.
Women who begin to develop signs of virilization should discontinue Deca and seek medical attention because these side effects can quickly become permanent. The only way avoid the risk of virilization side effects of Deca Durabolin is to avoid using it at all.
Other Deca Durabolin Side Effects
Many of the side effects of Deca Durabolin are caused by fluctuations in hormone levels. Not everyone will experience them, and those who do often report they are mild. This is not always the case, so be on the lookout for the following:
- Oily skin and acne – When the body’s natural hormonal balance is off, it often produces more sebum (oil) than is normal. This can result in oily skin, more frequent and severe breakouts, and “greasy” looking hair.
- Appetite increases – Because Deca Durabolin boosts the body’s metabolism, it will process the food you eat more quickly. As a result, you are likely to feel hungry far more often.
- Gastrointestinal issues – Some users report feeling nauseated or experiencing diarrhea during the first week of treatment. For many, this simply gets better over time and can be treated with over-the-counter remedies.
- Pain and redness at the injection site – Reactions like these are rarely more than mild, and they are often caused by inactive ingredients in the serum. Discontinue use if this reaction becomes severe.
- Libido changes – Men and women alike may find they desire sex more frequently.
- Lipid profile changes – Most anabolic steroids will cause increased free cholesterol, which may indicate an increased risk of developing plaque along arterial walls. Both sexes should keep this in mind.
Deca Durabolin side effects may seem scary, but the good news is that you can mitigate them with the right supplements, dose, and cycle lengths.
Very few people experience the side effects of Deca Durabolin in such a way that they are forced to discontinue use, and most experience outstanding results that are well worth the effort – especially since they are known to be more permanent.