From protecting you from cancer to aiding in weight loss, including more plant-based meals into your diet are sure to bring about some positive health changes.
One of the primary reasons to include more plant-based meals into your diet is the effect it will have on your heart.
This is because they lack the cholesterol that animal products have, which means that a plant-based diet can actually help to lower cholesterol and protect the heart.
The rich amount of potassium also helps to aid the heart in reducing blood pressure and reducing plague build-up in the arteries.
Whether you like it or not, there are significant benefits to following a vegeterian diet.
Though making the switch to full vegetarian or veganism isn’t for everyone, including more plant-based meals into your diet is a simple way to increase your overall health.
If you’re concerned that vegeterian meal options are boring though, you’re wrong.
Try out these veggie spring rolls for lunch or even as a healthy snack.
Veggie Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Makes 10 Rolls
Spring Roll Ingredients:
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion, minced
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Mix the Peanut sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
- Fill a large sauté pan with warm water. Pan needs to be large enough to fit a rice paper wrapper.
- Place one wrapper into the warm water. Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 seconds. Once it softens, remove from water and place on a cutting board.
- Fill the wrapper with a few strips of bell pepper, carrot, cucumber and cabbage before sprinkling in a small amount of cilantro and green onion. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, then roll up like a Burrito.
- Repeat with remaining rice wrappers until ingredients are gone. Set spring rolls in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once read to eat, slice spring rolls in half and serve with dipping sauce.
Note: Once the rice papers have been softened they tend to become sticky and be difficult to handle. Stuff them and roll them quickly.