Having leftovers in the house after the holidays is always great – until the family gets sick of having the same thing every meal. While there are a few ways to use up leftovers that can make them new and exciting again, many families end up throwing away a lot of food. Instead of always using the leftovers in a traditional way or recipe that gets repetitive, start combining a few of them to create the ultimate leftover sandwich that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch and even dinner!
While this sandwich does combine several traditional holiday foods such as cranberry sauce and turkey, the flavors of this sandwich make it perfect for any time of the year! Use freshly carved Turkey leftovers during the holidays and simple deli turkey at other times.
A fun way to repurpose leftovers, this turkey, pesto and cranberry melt is a flavorful sandwich that can be enjoyed any time of day!
Turkey, Pesto and Cranberry Melt
- 6 slices roasted Turkey breast
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 4 tablespoons pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 6 tablespoons fresh or canned cranberry sauce
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spread butter thinly onto the outsides of the sourdough bread.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread pesto onto bread followed by turkey, cranberry sauce and cheese. Place sandwich onto hot skillet and cook for two minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Flip and cook for another minute or two.
- Repeat process with remaining sandwich.
To make this sandwich a touch more wholesome, simply swap out the sourdough bread for a hearty wheat bread.