Chia seeds are a powerful superfood. Tiny nutritional powerhouses that are packed with nutrients, these tiny seeds used to be a main source of energy for the Mayan people. It is said that chia seeds are so nutrient dense that Mayan warriors would often eat nothing but one tablespoon of chia seeds for 24 hours – yet still have the energy and endurance to fight battles.
So what makes chia seeds so powerful? Besides being loaded with important minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and manganese, they are incredibly rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Made up of roughly 60% omega-3s, chia seeds are one of the richest plant-based sources of omega-3s. These super seeds are also rich in antioxidants, which ward off dangerous cancer-causing free radicals.
With 11 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein and 9 grams of fat (5 grams being omega-3s) in just one ounce, chia seeds are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Try them out with this strawberries n’ cream chia pudding parfait recipe.
Strawberries N’ Cream Chia Pudding Parfait
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, reduced fat
- fresh strawberries, sliced (optional)
- Blend together the almond milk, chia seeds, maple syrup and ½ of the chopped strawberries. Set in the fridge overnight to set up.
- Once chia pudding is set, layer with Greek yogurt. Top with more sliced strawberries if desired.
When purchasing Greek yogurt make sure to check the sugar content. Some flavored yogurts can have as much sugar in them as a candy bar! If you can’t find a vanilla Greek yogurt that is low in sugar than opt for plain and add your own flavoring and sweetener to it.