French toast is the perfect weekend breakfast. Warm and comforting as well as highly versatile, French toast is simple and easy to make for a hungry family (or just a hungry self!).
Typically higher in fat thanks to eggs and milk, this French toast recipe uses egg whites combined with almond milk to lower the fat content but still retain that essential protein from the eggs.
When made with whole-wheat bread, this typically indulgent Breakfast becomes a wholesome one made with complex carbohydrates and satisfying protein. Keep the toppings light with just a touch of real maple syrup and plenty of fresh fruit to complete this healthy breakfast.
Simple French Toast
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup Almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- pure maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- fresh fruit
- Whisk together the egg, egg whites, almond milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil or butter.
- Add one slice of bread into the egg mixture, drenching it on both sides. Remove bread and directly place into hot pan. Repeat with one to two more slices.
- Cook French toast for 3 to 4 minutes each side before flipping. Continue until all pieces of bread have been cooked.
- To serve, top with syrup and fresh fruit