There’s no denying the benefits of protein in the diet. A vital macronutrient to nearly every cell in the body, protein helps the body in numerous ways such as building and repairing tissue, making enzymes and serves as an important building block for bones and muscles.
Starting your day off with protein is a great way to arm your body with the nutrients it needs for the rest of the day. Too many people focus on protein only at lunch and dinner, neglecting its staying power and tummy-filling potential at breakfast. This recipe for sausage and egg Breakfast taquitos is packed with not one but two sources of protein to help keep you full and satisfied all morning.
Looking for a quick Breakfast on the go? These taquitos are freezable! Cook them ahead of time and then freeze them until you are ready to eat them. Simply microwave them for a few minutes until soft and you’ve got a protein-packed and portable breakfast on the go!
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Taquitos
Makes 12 Taquitos
- ½ pound ground Chicken sausage
- 2 handfuls fresh Spinach, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 6 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup shredded cheese of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Brown Sausage over medium heat in a large skillet. Once almost cooked through, add the bell pepper and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Stir eggs into the sausage mix, scrambling ingredients together. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Microwave tortillas to make them pliable. Evenly divide filling amongst tortillas, sprinkling each with cheese. Roll up tightly and place seam side down onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove taquitos from oven and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with salsa.