Produce is one of the most common foods that goes bad and has to be tossed out, which is why we think these roasted vegetable pita sandwiches are so amazing. Paired with a simple chipotle sauce for extra flavor, these pita sandwiches are a great way to use up any leftover vegetables in the fridge before they go bad. We chose zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms for our pitas, but feel free to use any and all vegetables you have available to you!
Roasted Vegetable Pita with Chipotle Sauce
- 2 small zucchini, diced small
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 cup baby mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
- green leaf lettuce
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small chipotle pepper, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place vegetables onto baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Toss to coat. Season with salt.
- Roast vegetables for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking.
- While vegetables are cooking, whisk together the chipotle cream sauce ingredients. If you prefer a smooth sauce, blend ingredients together in a blender. Set aside.
- Heat pitas in the microwave or toast them if you prefer. Slice each pit open and stuff with lettuce, roasted vegetables, feta cheese and chipotle cream sauce. You can also use the pita bread as a taco shell and simple wrap the ingredients inside and fold the bread in half.