Holiday parties are traditionally filled with not so nutritious choices. While splurging every now and again won’t totally ruin your diet, it is always helpful to have at least one healthy dish present. And while this roasted butternut squash dish may be healthy, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t taste amazing!
Butternut squash is one of those seasonal vegetables that we all wish was year round. With a subtly sweet taste that pairs well with almost anything, butternut squash makes the perfect side dish. It is also a nutritional powerhouse, with almost 500 mg of potassium in one cup as well as 7 grams of fiber. Butternut squash also contains a variety of vitamins and minerals with over 350 percent of the daily recommended amount of vitamin A, 17 percent of the daily recommended amount of manganese and over half of your day’s worth of vitamin C in just one cup.
While butternut squash is the main star in this recipe it is not the only powerhouse food. Antioxidant-rich cranberries also make an appearance in this dish, which become perfectly soft and plump upon roasting for a delicious combination of sweet and tart.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries and Feta
Serves 4 as a Side
- 1 (15 ounce) container of cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup Feta cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cubed butternut squash to the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with garlic powder and sea salt.
- Roast squash for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes add the fresh cranberries and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately toss with honey and feta cheese.