Thought of as boring and lackluster a lot of times, many people dread meat-free recipes. While lean meats serve as a fantastic source of protein and many other nutrients, plant-based meals have just as many benefits to one’s diet and overall health and well being.
This meatless chili recipe packs a double punch in terms of nutrition. Traditional chili is comprised of mostly Beans and meat, however this chili takes the nutritional stats up a notch by ditching the meat and incorporating both quinoa and pumpkin – two nutritional juggernauts. Two types of beans along with quinoa provide an incredible amount of plant-based protein that also contains all of the essential amino acids that the body needs. With added vitamins and minerals such as beta-carotene and vitamin C from Pumpkin, this pumpkin quinoa chili is a flavorful, meatless dish that everyone is sure to enjoy.
Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- green onion
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add the canned pumpkin, tomatoes, water, black beans, kidney beans and quinoa. Stir until all is mixed well.
- Add the chili powder, cumin and sea salt then taste to see if more seasoning needs to be added for your taste. Bring chili to a simmer and stir chili often, cooking for 15 minutes.
- To serve top with garnishes of choice.