The term “superfood” sure does get tossed around a lot these days but if there is any food that is worthy of that title, it would be quinoa.
Packed with important vitamins and minerals, quinoa also contains fiber and is a terrific source of “complete” protein, meaning that it contains all of the essential amino acids that our bodies need. That’s why it forms the bases for this pesto and egg quinoa breakfast bowl recipe.
Check out these other quinoa recipes here:
- Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
- Thai Quinoa Salad with Edamame
- Honey Dijon Chicken Quinoa Salad
Speaking of superfoods, each Breakfast bowl below is topped with an egg, one of the most nutritious foods we can eat. Besides being another source of complete protein, eggs also contain essential healthy fats as well as numerous Vitamins and minerals. In fact, eggs contain at least a small amount of almost every nutrient that the body needs.
Topped with more healthy fats in avocado slices and Pumpkin seeds (pepitas), these pesto and egg quinoa breakfast bowls are a filling and delicious way to start the morning!
Pesto and Egg Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, warm
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup homemade [or store-bought] pesto
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼-1/3 cup olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- Place the basil, garlic, almonds, lemon juice and salt into a food processor. Begin to process while slowly streaming in olive oil. Add oil until pesto fully comes together and is smooth.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the eggs one at a time, cooking until over easy or until egg has cooked to your liking. Set aside.
- To make bowls: distribute quinoa between two bowls. Top with avocado, pesto, pepitas and salt and pepper to taste. Gently place cooked egg over top.