Loaded with vegetables like mushrooms, carrot and bell pepper, the real star of this ragu is the lentils. Lentils are an incredible source of nutrition and are packed with fiber, protein and folate. One cup of cooked lentils contains 16 grams of fiber, 18 grams of protein and over 90% of your daily need for folate, making lentils one of the best natural sources of folate on the planet. As an added bonus, lentils are also rich in Vitamins and minerals such as iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and vitamin B6.
Serve this ragu over your favorite noodles and pair it with a side salad for a complete meal!
Mushroom Lentil Ragu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 box Spaghetti noodles of choice
- fresh parsley, chopped
- shaved parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, carrot, bell pepper and onion. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Chicken broth and stir well, scraping bottom of the pan.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, lentils, oregano and sea salt. Simmer until lentils are tender, roughly 10 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- While ragu is simmering, boil a bot of water for your spaghetti noodles. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Once ragu is cooked, serve over spaghetti. Garnish with fresh parsley and shaved parmesan, if desired.
Serve this mushroom Lentil ragu over spiralized zucchini noodles instead of Pasta noodles to lower the total carbohydrate count for this dish.