Baked oatmeal is a great way to cook a large batch of breakfast for the week. Along with juicy blueberries and delicious shredded coconut and walnuts, this particular baked oatmeal even contains a hidden vegetable – carrots!
Oats are among the healthiest grains you can eat. Naturally gluten-free and a good source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants, oats also contain some of the highest protein content out of all other grains with nine grams of protein per ½ cup serving. That’s not bad for a grain! A healthy addition to your diet, studies have shown that consumption of oats and oatmeal can lead to weight loss, lower blood sugar and even a reduced risk of heart disease.
Enjoy more oats in your diet with this morning glory baked oatmeal and fuel yourself for your day ahead!
Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 Apple, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups Almond milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking dish with oil or cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, coconut, apple, carrot, baking powder and spices.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, almond milk, honey and vanilla extract.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing until everything is well incorporated. Stir in ½ cup blueberries.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries and walnuts. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned.
- Allow oatmeal to cool before slicing and serving.
- Frozen blueberries may be used instead of fresh, however be sure to thaw them first.
- This baked oatmeal will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days, covered.