Traditional Mexican street corn may be delicious, however it tends to be heavy on the butter and cheese, which can be highly caloric and fattening. We’ve taken the traditional flavors of street corn and combined it with the pasta salad feel, turning it from a basic corn side dish to something healthy and even more flavorful! High in fiber and light on saturated fat, this Mexican street corn pasta salad makes for the perfect side dish to your BBQ.
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
Serves 6-8 as a Side
- 2 cups rotini Pasta
- 3-4 corns on the cob
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 large avocado, diced small
- 6 strips Turkey bacon, cooked
- ½ cup Feta cheese
- ½ cup canned black Beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/3 cup light mayo
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- To cook corn, heat a grill to medium heat. Pull the husks back from the corn and take off the silk from each ear of corn. Fold husks back into place.
- Soak the ears of corn in a large bowl of water with 1 tablespoon of salt for 10 minutes. Remove from water and shake dry, then place on the grill. Cover and cook the corn for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so. Corn is done when easily pierced with a fork.
- Once corn and pasta have cooled to room temperature, toss them together into a large bowl along with black beans, avocado, green onion, cilantro and Bacon. Toss together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayo, chili powder and lime juice. Stir into the pasta, making sure that everything is incorporated and well mixed.
- Sprinkle pasta salad with feta cheese, toss and serve.
If you don’t have access to a grill or are looking for a quicker way to prepare this dish, simply use canned corn and sauté it in a pan for a few minutes to make it brown and crispy.