Pizza is often labeled as a “bad” food thanks to its high amount of fat and calories. With a doughy crust and a cheese riddled top, opting for thin crust and asking for less cheese can help you save calories, but you still end up consuming far more calories than you need in the end.
This low carb pizza casserole eliminates that doughy crust altogether, but still keeps the delicious flavors of traditional pizza. Swapping out the refined carbs of a traditional pizza for spaghetti squash allows for this dish to not only save on carbs but also calories, which means you can enjoy all of the flavors of pizza guilt free. This pizza is also packed with filling protein, mimicking a “Meat Lovers” type of pizza with both ground turkey and chopped pepperoni.
Save on calories and on fat by swapping your regular slice of pizza for this low carb pizza casserole. Low in carbohydrates and fat but high in filling protein, you can enjoy the flavors of pizza again without the guilt.
Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 8 ounces chopped pepperoni
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 4 cups spaghetti squash noodles, cooked
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup light mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×9 casserole dish.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ground turkey and pepperoni.
- As the meat browns, sprinkle in the seasonings.
- Once cooked all the way through, add meat mixture to a large bowl along with spaghetti squash noodles, eggs and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish, sprinkle on cheese and top with more pepperoni if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.