It’s no secret that meditation can help you alleviate stress, but what you may not know is that it can also help you reach your fitness goals faster. Knowing how to properly meditate is required if you are to reap any of the benefits, which is why we are providing you with this comprehensive guide.
There are dozens of different methods of meditation. The one you choose is not important, as all of them incorporate many of the same basic techniques. As such, when learning how to properly meditate, you should keep the following concepts in mind:
- Ideally, you should meditate in a quiet room where there are as few distractions as possible. Turn off the television and shut off your cell phone so you are not tempted to answer it. View our article on creating the perfect meditation room here.
- If possible, schedule your Meditation sessions for approximately the same time each day, as this makes it easier for you to get into the habit.
- Sit comfortably with your back in an upright position. You may sit directly on the floor if you like, but this is not required.
- Take several slow, deep breaths to help you better concentrate.
- Once you find yourself beginning to concentrate, you may then begin breathing normally again.
You may want to incorporate other elements into your Meditation routine. For example, some people enjoy listening to soft music, while others prefer adding aromatherapy. After some trial and error, you will be better able to come up with a routine that works for you. Don’t worry about meditating too long in the beginning. Start with around two to five minutes per session and then gradually increase the amount of time from there.
Meditating while Working Out
In addition to regular sessions, you may also incorporate meditation into your daily workout. Do this by focusing on your breathing, inhaling in through your nose and out through your mouth while matching the rhythm to your movements. You may even want to perform a few deep breathing Exercises before starting to train in order to help yourself unwind and put away unwanted distractions. Many fitness trainers recommend focusing on a particular goal during your workout – for example, envisioning yourself with flatter Abs or improved muscle tone.
Through the years, numerous studies have shown that learning how to properly meditate can alleviate stress, reduce Depression, and lower blood pressure. More recent research performed at the University of California at San Francisco indicates meditation might also help people lose weight. A group of women who received Training in “mindful eating” and meditated for 30 minute each day maintained their weight and saw a reduction in cortisol levels even though no particular diet or exercise program was prescribed. Scientists believe this is because meditation can help people control their cravings and avoid overeating due to Stress.
In addition to following the above tips, incorporating Yoga or Pilates exercises into your workout routine can also help you become better at meditating. Make an effort to meditate a bit each day, and you can notice some amazing health and fitness benefits in just a short while.