Kabobs are a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet during the summer months. There is something so incredibly delicious and simple about grilled vegetables that make them nearly irresistible – and even more so when they are marinated in a simple herbed marinade!
In this recipe, lean chicken along with sliced zucchini, bell pepper and red onion is marinated in a delicious garlic and herb marinade that adds great flavor to basic ingredients, pumping up the flavor and creating a healthy and mouth-watering kabob. Pair these Chicken skewers with a side salad and freshly cut watermelon and you have yourself a complete summer meal!
Herbed Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs (we used basil and parsley)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the Skewers:
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in ½ inch slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into squares
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges, then squares
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless Chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, herbs, salt, pepper and olive oil. Set aside.
- Place cut vegetables into a zip lock bag. Add 2 tablespoons of marinade and toss to coat. Place chopped chicken into a separate zip lock and add remaining marinade. Toss to coat. Place both bags in the fridge and allow to marinate for 30 minutes to 6 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Thread the chicken and vegetables onto skewers, alternating between the two. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place skewers onto the hot grill and grill for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Flip and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Substitute whatever vegetables you like for your skewers!
- Any fresh herbs will work in this recipe; just make sure you have a total of half a cup.