It may be hard to believe but bacon actually can be part of a healthy diet. This simple citrus bacon and brussels sprout salad proves just that!
With a refreshing and zesty flavor, this salad makes for a great side dish or snack. Brussels sprouts are an incredibly healthy vegetable – with loads of antioxidants to fight cancer and heart disease, nutrients to aid in Digestion and alkalization of the body as well as a surprising amount of protein for a vegetable. When paired with crispy bacon, heart-healthy almonds and a delicious citrus vinaigrette, Brussels sprouts might just become your new favorite vegetable!
Enjoy this naturally gluten-free and paleo salad alone or paired with a main dish. It also makes for a great healthy contribution to a BBQ or picnic!
Citrus Bacon and Brussels Sprout Salad
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, stems removed and sliced thinly
- 8 slices bacon, Turkey or pork
- 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Orange juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add bacon and cook until crispy. Set bacon aside.
- Toss sliced Brussels sprouts together with almonds in a large bowl. Once bacon is cool enough to handle, chop into thin slices. Add to the bowl along with the Brussels sprouts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Set salad in the fridge to chill and allow flavors to marry.
- If prepping this salad for use on another day, leave the almonds out until ready to eat so that they retain their crunch.
- Reduce the overall fat of this salad by using Turkey bacon instead of pork.