Snack time can be tricky for a lot of people. It’s the one time of day where low blood pressure and cravings can lead to unhealthy choices and binges, with people commonly reaching for sugar or simple carbohydrates as a quick source of fuel.
Avoid these late day binges by having protein-rich, healthy snacks readily available for you to reach for instead.
Made from just a few basic ingredients, these chicken sweet potato poppers make for the perfect healthy snack. Naturally gluten-free and Paleo they are simple to make and quick to cook up, making them a great snack to prep for the week ahead. They can also double as a main dish when paired with a healthy side dish of choice.
Comprised of ground chicken for filling protein and sweet potato for complex carbohydrates and fiber, these chicken sweet potato poppers make for a well rounded snack that can power you through until your next meal.
Chicken Sweet Potato Poppers
Makes 20 poppers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cups sweet potato, grated
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or add a small amount of oil to a cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients. Roll into 20 one inch balls and slightly flatten. Place them on the baking sheet or skillet.
- Bake poppers for 25 minutes, flipping half way through.
- After time is up, turn the oven to broil and cook for 2 minutes to crisp up.
- Remove from oven and serve with dipping sauce of choice.
If making these as a main dish, double or triple the size of the ball to turn them into either meatballs or even burgers!