Pesto may be an incredibly flavorful and versatile sauce but it unfortunately doesn’t have the best nutritional stats.
High in both calories and fat, pesto sauce can add a hefty amount of unwanted calories to your meal before you’ve even had enough food to satisfy yourself.
That’s where this Chicken & Broccoli Pesto Pasta dish comes in.
This dish lets you indulge in that pesto craving without all the unwanted fat and calories by combining pesto with chicken broth and reduced fat cream cheese to create a creamy, flavourful sauce.
Alongside whole grain pasta, chicken and broccoli, this dish is a quick but healthy dinner.
Chicken & Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until the pasta is tender, roughly 10 minutes. Once pasta is tender, add the broccoli and cook for two minutes. Drain both the pasta and broccoli.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with basil, salt and pepper, then place in pan and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the pesto, cream cheese and chicken broth to the skillet. Allow to come to a simmer, stirring until a smooth sauce forms.
- Add the pasta and broccoli and stir to coat. Sprinkle with extra sea salt and pepper before serving.