Looking for a quick way to refuel from your morning workout while also not missing out on that essential morning cup of Joe? This café mocha protein shake is the answer!
More than a regular smoothie, this café mocha protein shake is similar in flavor to a coffee house mocha frappuccino but without all of the unnecessary calories and added sugar. Made without any artificial syrups, chemicals or dairy, this café mocha protein shake goes above and beyond any coffee house, providing muscle-building protein, complex carbohydrates as well as healthy antioxidants.
This recipe calls for cacao – the unprocessed version of cocoa powder and chocolate. Though cocoa powder can be used in this recipe as a straight swap for cacao without sacrificing any of that chocolate flavor, it’s the cacao that provides the bulk of the nutrition in this protein shake. In fact, cacao powder is often referred to as a superfood thanks to its stellar nutritional stats. With forty times the amount of antioxidants as blueberries (that’s a lot!), more calcium than cow’s milk and magnesium for a healthy heart and brain, cacao powder is well worthy of its superfood title.
Along with your choice of protein powder as well as half of a banana for fiber and carbohydrates, this café mocha protein shake is a rich, chocolate coffee drink that requires no drive-through and won’t break the calorie bank!
Café Mocha Protein Shake
- 6 ounces coffee, room temperature
- 6 ounces unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- ½ banana
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Make this protein shake vegan by using a plant-based protein powder
- Add cinnamon for an extra flavor kick!