Now you might not know it, but that obsession you have with spicy food is actually a healthy obsession to have. Chili peppers (and hot sauces) contain capsaicin, the compound that is responsible for making chili’s spicy and thus causing your eyes to water. Capsaicin has shown an ability to fight and reduce inflammation in the body, thus reducing muscle aches and pains. In fact, capsaicin has been tested and used as an alternative way to reduce the pain and inflammation that comes from arthritis.
Other healthy benefits of capsaicin include:
- Fights common Allergies
- May help with weight loss
- Improves heart health
- Lowers bad cholesterol
Obviously every pepper and hot sauce is different, just like the people who choose to eat them. Always be cautious with a new pepper or hot sauce before dumping it onto your food. A great way to try out a new hot sauce is to combine it with other “cooling” foods, such as with the recipe below! This delicious buffalo Chicken taco salad recipe has all of the flavors of traditional buffalo chicken wings but kicks it up a notch with extra ingredients for a fun, spicy salad.
Buffalo Chicken Taco Salad
- 1 cup cooked Chicken, shredded
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounce romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup black olives, chopped
- light ranch dressing
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Heat the butter and hot sauce together in a small sauce pan. Once melted and combined, stir in the chicken until coated.
- To assemble the salad place the romaine into a large bowl. Top with shredded chicken, black beans, olives, tomato, shredded cheese and a drizzle of light ranch dressing.
- Add additional toppings of choice before serving.