Salads are an easy way to pack in a lot of nutrition without a lot of calories.
The only problem is that salads tend to get boring, especially if you are eating the same one day after day.
Spice things up and get out of that boring lunch rut with this BBQ chicken salad!
The key to a good salad is fresh ingredients and variety.
Chicken is an easy go-to protein of choice due to the ability to prep and cook it in large batches.
It is also an incredibly beneficial protein source for the body, filled with not only protein but also several minerals.
For example, the B vitamins that are found in chicken are essential to boosting immunity, regulating digestion and fighting high cholesterol.
The Vitamin D vitamins aid in calcium absorption and help to strengthen the bones in the body, while vitamin A protects eye health.
Chicken is also full of healthy minerals such as iron, potassium, sodium, and phosphorus, all of which play vital roles.
With a big enough recipe to make 4 servings, this salad can serve as a healthy lunch for several days.
Simply store the salad base, Chicken and dressing separately, then mix as needed!
BBQ Chicken Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¾ cup corn
- ¾ cup black beans
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded, reduced fat
- ¼ cup ranch light dressing
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place chicken on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil before seasoning with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, combine the romaine lettuce, tomato, corn, black Beans and cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Once chicken is cooked through slice into strips. Place chicken on top of the salad greens.
- Whisk together the light ranch and BBQ sauce to create the dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.