Chicken is a fantastic source of lean protein and it can be prepared numerous ways, making it an ideal go-to meal. In this recipe we play off the flavors of caprese pasta by combining fresh mozzarella and sliced tomato with chicken breasts and drizzling them in a delicious balsamic vinegar glaze. This quick chicken recipe also gets an added boost from avocado, which provides healthy monounsaturated fats that can help to lower your risk for heart disease as well as lower high cholesterol.
The below avocado caprese skillet chicken is a simple one pan meal that is ready to eat in under 30 minutes. Pair it with pasta, brown rice or even a simple salad to complete the meal!
Avocado Caprese Skillet Chicken
- 2 (10 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic glaze
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and sea salt.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and chicken to the pan. Cover and cook chicken for 4 minutes before flipping it and cooking for 4 more minutes.
- Reduce heat slightly and add a mozzarella, avocado and tomato to each chicken breast. Cover pan and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is starting to melt.
- To serve, drizzle chicken with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with fresh basil.
Due to the simplicity and ease of this recipe, it makes for a great meal prep item! Cook as directed and add the fresh avocado and tomato slices when you are ready to eat.