Looking for a simple dessert? How about a delicious breakfast? Well this apple pie parfait recipe can be either!
With apples being in season in the fall and early winter months it is the perfect time to capitalize on their crisp, sweet flavor (not to mention the reduction in price). While most apple pies are loaded with simple carbs and far too much sugar, this recipe provides all of the flavor of an apple pie without going overboard on either carbs or sugar. In fact, this apple pie parfait is actually a great source of protein thanks to Greek yogurt.
Though this recipe is meant to be sweet enough for a Dessert, the amount of sugar per serving is far less than most desserts. Instead of traditional white sugar we use coconut sugar, which falls far below white sugar on the glycemic index chart, so it is less likely to cause a blood sugar spike but it still provides a sweet, caramel-like taste.
Apple Pie Parfait
Cinnamon Apple Ingredients:
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
Cinnamon Greek Yogurt:
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup granola, homemade or store-bought
- Place chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut sugar into a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 2 minutes or until apples are tender. Set aside.
- Stir together the Greek yogurt, cinnamon and honey until smooth. Add more honey as needed.
- To create parfait: layer yogurt, granola and apples between four dishes.
- Be sure to check the sugar content of your Greek yogurt and opt for the brand that has the least.
- Store-bought granola can be packed with hidden sugars – if you can’t find a smart option at the store make your own at home! It’s simple to make and will keep in a cool, dry place for weeks.