This killer southwestern grilled sweet potato salad is the perfect side dish companion to whatever protein you have grilling on the BBQ. Grill sweet potato slices right along with your meat, then chop it up and toss it into this flavorful and healthy salad for a complete side dish that is packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals!
Though sweet potatoes are considered to be a starchy carbohydrate, they are also lower on the glycemic index than regular potatoes and contain far more nutrients. With an incredible amount of vitamin A as well as vitamins C, D and B6, this southwestern grilled sweet potato salad is a must have for your next cook out!
Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¾ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ear corn, pre-soaked
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- juice of 2 limes
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Toss the sweet potato slices and olive oil together in a large bowl. Place onto a grill over medium heat. Cook potatoes 8-10 minutes on each side, or until tender.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, place the corn on the grill. Cook along with potatoes, turning every few minutes.
- Once potatoes and corn have cooled to room temperature, chop potato into cubes and place into a large bowl. Slice the corn kernels from the cob using a knife and add to the bowl along with the sweet potatoes.
- Stir in black beans, red pepper, green onions, cilantro, avocado and feta cheese. Squeeze lime juice over salad and toss to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- This salad will keep for 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Don’t have a grill? Roast the sweet potatoes instead!
Check out this chicken sweet potato poppers recipe for another snack or side dish option.