Proponents of “cleanses” remark that they help you remove toxins from your body and improve your health. One that also can help you lose weight is the one day juice cleanse. Is drinking only juice for a period of 24 hours effective? If you are considering a juice cleanse, here is what you need to know.
How Does a Juice Cleanse Work?
During a one day juice cleanse, you drink only fresh or cold pressed juices, and do not consume any solid food whatsoever. Fresh or cold pressed juices are made with a juicing machine using only fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic ones. This ensures there are no extra additives in your juice, and that the ingredients you use retain as much of their vitamin and mineral content as possible. Both fruit and vegetables are needed for juicing to ensure your blood sugar is not elevated too high and that you receive the right amount of carbohydrates for energy.
When to Cleanse
Opinions differ on when the best time to engage in a one day juice cleanse is. Many nutritionists recommend it right after a holiday such as Thanksgiving or Christmas when you may have overindulged in unhealthy food. Any time during winter is generally good, since you tend to eat heavier foods to help keep your body warm.
There are numerous benefits to a one day juice cleanse, with some of the more notable ones being:
- Increased energy
- Better absorption of vitamins and minerals
- Improved sleep
- Clearer skin
- Better immunity
- Relieving inflammation a 2012 study showed that the chlorophyll found in raw fruits and vegetables is also an anti-inflammatory agent
Helps with Weight Loss
Weight loss is another primary benefit of the one day juice fast. You may notice an immediate reduction due to a loss of water weight. Performing a one day juice cleanse periodically will also help you feel more satisfied with less food, and may therefore allow you to better control your appetite. Steve Prussack and Bo Rinaldi, authors of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Juice Fasting, claim that “committing to a juice fast for one day a week is an ideal way to lose weight at a steady, healthy pace, while continuously improving your overall health.”
Sample Juice Cleanse
There are many variations of the one day juice cleanse, but here are a few samples that are recommended by Prussack and Rinaldi (all servings are 32 ounces each):
Juice Option 1:
- Breakfast: Carrot, apple and lemon
- Lunch: Pineapple, orange, starfruit and beet
- Snack: Celery, Swiss chard and kale
- Dinner: Celery, cucumber, kale, chard and parsley
Juice Option 2:
- Breakfast: Apple, ginger, parsley and carrot
- Lunch: Red grape and strawberry
- Snack: Carrot, parsley and cabbage
- Dinner: Romaine celery, kale, pear and lemon
Juice Option 3:
- Breakfast: Cucumber, beet and carrot
- Lunch: Apple, holy basil, tomato and cilantro elixir
- Snack: Cucumber, beet and coconut
- Dinner: Kale, mustard, red grape and lemon
It’s inevitable that toxins will build up inside your body. One of the best ways to remove them is with a one day juice cleanse. Perform this cleanse on a regular basis and you will likely notice a dramatic improvement in the way you look and feel.