Waffles aren’t typically thought of as a savory meal. Normally drenched in syrup and topped with whipped cream or fruit, waffles are known for being a hearty and relatively sweet breakfast food – until now that is!
This fun recipe puts a new spin on the traditional waffle. Instead of a sweet and sugary breakfast that for the most part offers no nutrition, these savory breakfast waffles are made up of complex carbohydrates and filling protein to provide a healthy start to your day.
The base of these savory breakfast waffles is made with just three simple ingredients – sweet potato, egg and coconut flour. How simple is that! Mixed with just a few basic seasonings and topped with your extra toppings of choice, these savory waffles make the perfect breakfast or lunch! Simple to prepare and made in under 10 minutes, these waffles can also be prepped ahead of time and frozen for a quick breakfast when needed.
Savory Breakfast Waffles
Makes 2 waffles
- 1 1/2 cups grated sweet potato (about 1 medium)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 slice red onion
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up a waffle maker. Spray it well with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato, eggs, coconut flour and spices.
- Spoon half of the batter into the waffle iron and cook for 5 minutes. Remove waffle and cook remaining batter.
- While waffles are cooking, cook eggs according to preference. Set aside.
- Once waffles are done cooking, top with egg, mashed avocado, sliced red onion, parsley, salt and pepper.
Turn these breakfast waffles into a healthy lunch by topping them with black beans, shredded chicken, ground turkey, beef or another source of protein!