Everyone loves a good breakfast burrito. Though not always diet friendly, breakfast burritos typically contain a lot of filling protein, perfect to sustain you through your morning. Unfortunately most of these burritos are also highly caloric and loaded with fat – and it’s not the healthy kind!
These egg, bacon and vegetable breakfast burritos are not only a healthier take on the traditional favorite but they are also freezer-safe, making them ideal to prep ahead of time for a quick breakfast on the go. Chock full of protein from eggs and bacon, these burritos cut down on the fat content by substituting in turkey bacon and reduced fat cheddar cheese. Also much lower in carbs than normal options, these freezer friendly egg burritos are stuffed with bell pepper, zucchini and spinach instead of potatoes or hash browns.
Freezer Friendly Egg Burritos
- 5 eggs
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- ½ large zucchini, diced
- 1 handful spinach, fresh
- 4 tortillas of choice
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, bacon, chives, salt and black pepper.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, red pepper and zucchini. Sauté for two minutes or until tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the egg mixture to the pan. Scramble eggs with the vegetables. Toss in spinach and continue cooking until eggs are cooked through and the spinach has wilted.
- Divide cheese amongst the four tortillas. Add the egg mixture, dividing it evenly onto the tortillas. Wrap tortillas up like a burrito.
- Either eat the burritos fresh or set aside to cool. Once fully cooled, wrap burritos in freezer wrap and place in a resealable freezer-safe bag in the freezer.
- To defrost, remove the plastic wrap and microwave burrito for two minutes.