Looking for a new way to spice up your morning oatmeal? Look no further than this breakfast banana split!
Oatmeal is a go-to breakfast for a lot of people. Not only is it simple and quick to make but it is also a healthy and balanced first meal of the day, especially with additional toppings and add ins. The only problem is that oatmeal breakfasts can become reptitive and boring – which is why we developed this super simple yet crazy delicious breakfast banana split!
Traditional banana splits make for a decadent dessert. With scoops of ice cream on top of a halved banana, and then typically topped with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and even sprinkles. That won’t make for the most nutritious of breakfasts, but it does inspire something that will!
In the recipe below we top a halved banana with three scoops of cooked oatmeal to replace the ice cream and then drizzle on a maple sweetened Greek yogurt in place of the whipped cream.
Breakfast Banana Split
- 1 banana, sliced in half lengthwise
- ½ cup cooked oatmeal, prepared thick
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large strawberries, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- walnuts or almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon all natural strawberry jam, warmed
- Lay the banana cut side up onto a plate. Scoop oatmeal on top to resemble three scoops of ice cream. Use an ice cream scoop if you can to create three perfect mounds.
- Mix together the Greek yogurt, maple syrup and cinnamon. Spread Greek yogurt mixture on top of the oatmeal to resemble the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle on chopped strawberries, hemp seeds and chopped nuts. Drizzle on warmed jam.